Shopping Guide To Chanel Heathrow Airport
- Do they sell the Boy Bag at Heathrow airport?
- Can you make a reservation and how?
- How does the tax-free process work?
- How much time do you need for shopping?
- How to get to Terminal 3?
- And so much more…
|Guide To Heathrow Airport Overview|
1. The selection, the stockWhat do they sell and what don’t they sell at Heathrow Airport? Do they have a good selection? Do they have the WOC? Do they have the Boy Bag? In 2013, we were told that Chanel has stopped selling iconic handbags at Heathrow Airport. But clarify the word iconic please? What types of handbags are categorized as iconic by Chanel? Nobody knows for sure. But what we do know is what they really sell in Heathrow. They sell:
- Do they sell the Boy Bag at Heathrow airport?
- Chanel New Mini Classic Flap Bag
- Chanel Mini Square Classic Flap Bag
- Chanel Wallet On Chain aka WOC
- Chanel Coco Handle Bag and other upcoming classics like the Trendy CC Bag and Gabrielle Bags
- All seasonal handbags
- Chanel Reissue 2.55 Bag in seasonal colors
- Chanel Boy Bag in seasonal colors
- Chanel Wallets
- Chanel Card holders
- Chanel Charms and signature CC Earrings
2. What are the iconic bags?Sometime ago, we asked the SA what the iconic bags were. We have been told that there were 6 iconic bags and the Boy Bag was one of them. The Boy Bag was indeed banned from selling at the Heathrow Airport at that time. Perhaps the rules have changed overtime. Aside from the Boy Bag, the Reissue 2.55 Bag is also an iconic right? Then why do they sell the Reissue 2.55 Bag at Heathrow? Here’s our speculation: we think that it has to do with more than only the styles. The colors are important as well. So the Reissue 2.55 Bag might be available in seasonal colors, but the classic shades like black are not available at Heathrow airport. “If you know more info, do share it at our comment below. It will be very helpful for the community.”
3. Terminal 3 vs Terminal 5The Chanel boutique at Terminal 3 is smaller than Terminal 5. But their stock changes from time to time, so it’s possible that a bag is available in T3 while its not available in T5. The best way to check the stock is to hire a personal shopper or contact Chanel directly. We will provide more details below about hiring a personal shopper at Heathrow – see chapter 5.
3a. How to travel between Terminal 3 and 5?So you’re in T3 or T5 and want to get to the other boutique to shop. Make sure you have enough time to do the shopping, because travelling takes time. So how to travel between these two terminals? To travel between T3 and T5, take the express train. There is a train every 15 minutes and the travel time is 20 minutes. So the maximum travel time will be 35 minutes (waiting for the train + travelling with the train). But do note that walking and searching for the boutique takes time as well. And also the shopping like the payment or applying for the tax-refund. For details about travelling between terminals please go to: Tax-refund guide at Heathrow Airport. We have an extensive guide there.
4. Make a reservationYes, you can make a reservation 24 hours before your departure and pick the bag up. Sometimes the SA’s (or the PA’s) can bring the bag to you, but that is only possible if they have time (special occasions. And there are also limitation rules – you can only reserve 1 bag. The general limitation rule is 1 item per category, so you can also make a reservation of other items. For example; you can reserve 1 bag, 1 coin purse, 1 wallet, 1 cardholder and so on. There are also handbags that the SA cannot put on hold. Those are bags that are in high-demand like the Classics or the Reissue 2.55.
5. Hire a Personal ShopperHow to maximize your shopping experience? How to get to Terminal 3 or Terminal 5 as fast as possible? How to skip the obstacles and inefficiency like wasting time on research, going the wrong way or searching? Hire a trained Shopping Assistant from Heathrow Shopping Service. How does this work?
|1. Go straight to the website Heathrow Shopping Service.|
|2. Book a Personal Shopper 48 hours before your travel.|
|3. Discuss with the Personal Shopper about your budget and the time you have available. Also tell her what bags you’re looking for because she might be able to make the reservation.|
|4. The Personal Shopper will prepare a shopping plan so you can max out your shopping time.|
|5. The Personal Shopper will meet you after the security.|
|6. The Personal Shopper will guide you to the boutiques, she might know some short-cuts so you can get to the stores as fast as possible.|
6. How much time do you need for shopping?Imagine the time needed for travelling between T3 and T5. If you want to visit both boutiques, you will need at least 35 minutes to get from T3 to T5 and then you will also need to reserve some time for travelling back as well. The general rule of thumb is that you need to reserve 2 hours or more for a good productive shopping spree.
7. Duty-free or not Duty-free?This chapter is important if you want to get the lowest price, so pay close attention. There are two kinds of prices at Heathrow Airport (the SA can give you two different prices): 1. Duty free prices: these are the lowest prices. And also, these prices are the main reason why people shop at Heathrow airport. The standard VAT rate in the United Kingdom is currently 20%. If you can buy the bags for Duty-free, it means that the boutique has not put any VAT on the items yet. So there is no tax-refund needed. You can only get your bags or other items Duty-free if you’re travelling from Heathrow Airport to countries outside of the EU. If you are travelling within the EU countries, then the following rule will be applied (this means if you are travelling from Heathrow airport to other EU countries): 2. Prices with VAT, then tax-refund: these prices are higher than the Duty-free prices. The prices are the same as buying from the London boutiques, but the tax-refund process is much smoother and faster. So how does this work comparing to the Duty-Free? First your items will be taxed with VAT. Then the Shopping Assistant will help you remove the VAT by filling in the tax-refund form. The tax-refund process will only take a few minutes (much faster than buying via the boutiques). IMPORTANT NOTE: Only NON-EU citizens are eligble for VAT refund. Like we’ve said before, the prices are the same as in the boutiques. But the SA of the Heathrow airport can help you speed up the tax-refund process and remove the hassle of getting a stamp from the custom and so on. The tax-refund will be immediately deducted from the prices. But why is the bag more expensive than Duty-free? Because of the tax-refund, you will get less money back. There is a fee for processing your tax-refund form, of which will be deducted from your total return.
8. The price differences between Duty-free and no Duty-freeTo summarize what we’ve discussed in the previous chapter: if you are travelling from Heathrow airport to a country outside the EU, you can get the price with duty free. If you’re travelling from Heathrow airport to a country inside the EU, then you have to pay the regular price, which is price + VAT. The VAT can be deducted via the tax-refund process.
8a. The prices with Duty-freeLet’s take a look at the Chanel Bag prices with Duty Free. Then compare them with the prices with VAT and tax-refund. The Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag currently retails for £3990 GBP with VAT (price as per April 2018).
|Duty-Free price at Heathrow Airport:||£3325 GBP|
|The total discount is:||16.67%|
8b. The prices with VAT refundImportant note: Only NON-EU citizens are eligble for VAT refund. If you cannot get the Duty-free, because you are travelling within the EU, then you will get the price with VAT. The SA will help you get VAT back via the tax-refund process. Here’s the calculation for the price with VAT refund: The Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag currently retails for £3990 GBP with VAT (price as per April 2018)
|Retail price with VAT||£3990 GBP|
|Price VAT excluded:||£3452 GBP|
|The total discount is:||13.5%|
Hello, you should update this blog post since as of January 2021 all prices at London Heathrow are no different than prices at the boutiques in the city
Hi Lana. I’m buying two bags for a friend from the US as she thinks the bags sold at Heathrow would be tax-free so would be cheaper than boutique prices by at least 14%?
Hello, do you know what the prices are like at Chanel Heathrow, now that the government has changed the VAT and tax rules at airports? Do all travellers regardless of which country they’re going to have to pay the normal boutique prices at the airport? Thanks
Hi! With recent COVID-19 measures, I was just wondering, what would be the best way to get in touch with someone around the terminal? I sent an email inquiry through Heathrow Airport and they haven’t gotten back to me. I was looking into getting a Shopping Assistant but the program is out right now. What are my options, I am flying to Ireland roundtrip, making a stop there on both ways, is there a chance that if I spot a bag, I can get it or not until my second stop there on the way back? I’m excited for any updates regarding 2020 haha
P.S. Love reading your posts!! Helps me make more wise decisions
Hi Nathalie, sorry for the late reply. Due to the Covid-19 lockdowns, all the shops are closed at the Heathrow Airport
Just checking the reviews elated to buying Chanel from Terminal 3 at Heathrow airport, I find it a bit strange specially the amount of negative feedback about the counterfeits products sold there (be it bags, accessories etc.,) and the bad attitude from sales assistants there…how true is that …can any of the people who visited this store validate the above feedback that would be so helpful …many thanks ..
Hi Nadooon, I have read some stories that earrings were counterfeit, I can’t belief this happen in Heathrow (hard to verify whether its rue or not), I have heard more stories in Asia, where the SA swap the real ones with the fakes and then sell them. But the best way to protect yourself is to shoot pictures. Shoot image of the receipt with the bag together + the shop as well.
When you purchase a bag anywhere, do some research how to recognize fake from real ones.
I knew that Chanel has stopped selling iconic handbags at Heathrow airport, but is it possible to reserve a classic small handbag before travelling through calling the boutique?
Hi Bella, Chanel does sell seasonal classic bags like the seasonal boy bags and seasonal style classic flap bag. You can hire a personal shopper and ask her to reserve a bag for you.
Style code & sizes:
Style code: A37584
Size: 8′ x 6′ x 2′ inches
The 224 is the mini size and it’s comparable to the Extra mini Classic Flap Bag.
CHANEL 224 REISSUE 2.55 BAG
Is the 2.55 mini still sold?
Please check here the prices:
The New Mini is:
Size: 5.3′ x 6.7′ x 3.1′ inches
The Reissue 2.55 244 (mini size):
Size: 8′ x 6′ x 2′ inches
The Extra Mini is no longer available.
I’m traveling to London from Singapore via Heathrow for holiday but leaving London to Paris via train. Do I still get duty free for Chanel? Or I can only get duty free if I’m travelling out from Heathrow?
Hi Jane, you can get duty free. But the duty free amount will be just like buying tax-free in the boutique. The good thing is that everything you buy in Heathrow airport, they will help you with the tax-refund immediately, so that save you a lot of hassle and time. The bad thing is that the stock is less and it doesn’t have iconic handbags. But they have accessories like earrings.
You can get full duty free (which is a bit more because it doesn’t add the commission for tax-refund etc.), if you fly out from Heathrow airport to a country outside the EU.
Looking to buy the Chanel Minaudiere in London or Heathrow T3 on Sunday the 16 th of September 2018. Do u think I will find it at T3.
Ref A94578 Y83850 45002
This is a seasonal bag and will be available in London, I just don’t know about the stock. There is also a big chance you will find it at Heathrow airport, because it’s not an iconic bag.
My advice is this: use the free service, hire the PA to help you get the bag. Message the store to check whether they have stock or get the stock before your arrival =)
How much does the personal shopper cost?
and do you have a ‘where to buy Chanel for the cheapest’ page like the Hermes page?
Hermes is undoubtly the cheapest also via Heathrow airport at the tax-free area. And also, in Europe the prices are much lower than the rest of the world if you buy with tax-refund.
About the PS, we’ve read this on their website: Heathrow Reserve & Collect is a free shopping service.
Anyone is able to buy items at Duty Free as long they are travelling outside the EU
Thnx for sharing!
Hi , I recently email Heathrow Shopping Services to make enquiry about Chanel bag, pls see below reply from Heathrow for sharing info, below reply dated Jun 2018:
Thank you for your enquiry.
Unfortunately Chanel no longer stock any Classic Flap, Reissue 266 or Reissue 2.55 handbags at Heathrow.
To enable us to check availability of the other items, could I kindly please ask you to confirm the product code found on the Chanel website along with your departure flight details please.
Please note that as Chanel is only located in terminal 3 and terminal 5, to enable you to sucessfully visit the store you would need to use our terminal escort service:
A terminal escort is where a member of our team escorts you to 1 alternative terminal and back in time for your flight, providing you have 3 hours after security and the item we have reserved is at a minimum of £250.00.
We would only allocate an escort if the item is available to be reserved, when we have reserved the item we will then arrange a terminal escort to assist you. You would then receive an email confirming your reservation and terminal escort details.
On the day of your departure, once you have cleared through security in your departure terminal, you would need to contact your terminal escort so that they can meet you and escort you to collect your item.
Heathrow Shopping Services Team
T: 0800 678 5324
….End, hope is helpful.. thansk!
This is what they’ve said a few yrs ago when they banned iconic bags at Heathrow. But people spot iconic bags like seasonal boy bags there including the reissue 2.55 but in the smallest size. Im going to do a check soon. Thnx for sharing!
I am traveling back to the us from Heathrow on July 9th and want to get a chanel vanity case (small) I’m wondering if it’s something they might have or can reserve for me. I went to heathrows website and inquired about it.
In your opninion is this something you think they might have in stock or pre order for me ?
Reserve the bag by calling the Chanel boutique in Heathrow airport. Reservation 24 hours in prior, or let the Shopping Assistant do that for you. The Vanity Case might have stock because it’s not an iconic bag, by calling the boutique, they can tell you whether they have stock.
The website should refer you to the boutique, Im not sure whether they can see in the system. For as far as I know, they can’t.
The phone # of the Heathrow airport: +44 20 8754 1000
Hello ladies! I am traveling to London at the end of this month from USA, how can I check the Chanel bags they have at The airport duty free? And how can I know if the bag I want is cheaper in London or US?
Thanks for the help!
Hi Julie, let’s answer the question in two fold:
1). Buying at the regular boutique in London
2). Buying at the Heathrow airport
1). let’s start with the first one: Buying at the regular boutique in London
we’ve made a calculation in the past: https://www.bragmybag.com/chanel-price-analysis-is-it-cheaper-to-buy-the-classic-bag-in-the-us/
The classic bags are cheaper, but not always the seasonal bags. Subject to currency changes of course, that’s also the reason why Chanel increase the price (because of the currency differences.
Here is what you can do?
Looking for a classic bag? Compare the prices here:
1st, lookup at the prices of USD and GBP:
2nd. Check the tax-refund you get in the UK:
1). Looking for a seasonal bag? Check the latest prices in USD and GBP here:
– Spring Summer 2018 Act 2 Collection
– Spring Summer 2018 Act 2 Collection
– Cruise 2018 Collection
All the info’s are here: https://www.bragmybag.com/chanel-spring-summer-2018-classic-and-boy-bag-collection-act-2/
2). use the above tax-refund rate table to confirm the actual costs (retail price – tax-refund = real price).
Now the next question: 2). Buying at the Heathrow airport
Guides are here:
And above you can see what bags they have at the boutiques in Heathrow airport.
The cheapest way to buy at Heathrow airport is the moment you leave EU and you buy at the airport completely duty free. If you buy at the airport and stay in EU, it will be the same as buying via the boutiques in the city. However, the tax-refund process is much smoother at the heathrow boutiques, because it only takes minutes and the SA will help you with that.
Hope these info helps.
I also want to mention that getting a tax refund is not that hard if you prefer to shop in the stores in London. I’m british but live in Asia and knew that the Gucci bag I wanted was the cheapest in London. However I didn’t want to wait until the end of my trip to buy it and risk it not being in stock. I bought it in London and asked for a VAT receipt. When I got to the airport after I got my boarding pass but before I went through security I went to the travelex counter, filled in my receipt and got my tax back in less than 10 mins. You also need to have your stuff on you so they can see it. I would definitely do this again if I wanted something particular. My bag was £800 in store and I got £100 back in tax. I’m sure fury free would have been even less but as I said I didn’t want to risk not getting it.
Very helpful thank you so much for sharing your story <3.
Thanks for this timely post.
However i am flying out terminal 2. Do i have access to terminal3 or 5? I’ve read that i need to have a flight ticket flying out in those terminals to access the chanel stores there. Is that true?
Hi Cassie, please consult with the personal shopper of Heathrow (the link is above) as she can guide you from T2 to T3/5.
Just to add , not sure what will happen after Brexit is finalized! Lol!!
Hi everyone, just to clarify , you can purchase a bag duty free if you don’t live in the EU, even if you are an EU citizen.
Purchased bags from Chanel and Dior from Heathrow Terminal 5 duty free and I am British but live in the Middle East.
It’s about where you live, as long as you can show proof of living outside the EU, you are fine.
Thank you for sharing such valuable information!
If we are flying out from Heathrow to Zurich (Switzerland), do we get duty free for Chanel purchases? I think Switzerland is not part of EU?
I am a UK citizen and will be travelling to asia this year from Heathrow airport. Will I be eligible to purchase a chanel bag duty free?
Thanks for your help!
If you fly to Asia from Heathrow airport, then you can buy duty free.
Even if you’re an UK citizen