Is Buying Chanel In Europe Still Cheaper After Price Increase?

Is-Buying-Chanel-In-Europe-Still-Cheaper-After-Price-Increase

As you might already know, Chanel has recently harmonized their bag prices (to be exact, after 8th April 2015), and that means:

– Prices in United States and United Kingdom remain the same
– Prices in Asia have decreased dramatically
– Prices in Europe have increased

For now, the price increases only affect the iconic handbags like the Classic Flap Bags, Reissue 2.55 Bags and the Boy Bags. However, Chanel plants to harmonize all their accessories by the end of 2015, yikes!

READ: Chanel Worldwide Price Changes 2015

To check out the latest price increases, go to: Chanel Bags Prices.

Now the most important subject of this post – the big question that we’ve received so-often is: ‘Now that Chanel has increased prices in Europe, will it still be cheaper to shop there?’

Great question!

Let’s do some calculation shall we?

Comparing the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag prices in United States and Europe (after price increase)

The Chanel Medium/Large Classic Flap Bag is currently retailing for $4900 USD in United States. That’s a heavy price tag, let’s compare that to Europe.

Well in Europe, after price increase, the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag is now priced at €4260 euro. Seems huge right?

If you’re a non-EU citizen, you are eligible for tax-refund. That is around 13 percent in Italy. The new price after tax-refund will be €3706 euro. Now let’s convert that into USD (as per today’s currency exchange) – $4089 USD.

The answer?

Yes, it’s cheaper. To be exact, it’s $640 USD cheaper.

Comparing the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag prices in United States and Europe (before the price increase)

Okay, now I am curious. I want to know this: ‘How much cheaper is the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag in Europe before the price increase, before 8th April 2015?’.

You want to know too?

I guess so!

Before 8th April 2015, the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag in the United States was priced at $4900 USD.

Before 8th April 2015, the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag in Europe was priced at €3550 euro before tax-refund. So after the tax-refund, the new price was: €3088 euro. Convert that into USD (as per today’s currency exchange), which will be $3358 USD.

Ohhh my…

You would be $1350 USD cheaper before the price increase.

Comparing the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag prices in Singapore and Europe (after the price increase)

Is it still worth for Singapore citizen to travel to Europe and purchase a Chanel bag?

The Chanel Medium/Large Classic Flap Bag is today retailing for $6660 SGD in the Singapore. That’s a price decrease; shall we be happy about that?

The new price in Europe for the Chanel Medium/Large Classic Flap Bag is now €4260 euro, after 13 percent tax-refund in Italy will be €3706 euro. Now convert that to SGD (as per today’s currency exchange) – $5372 SGD.

You will still be cheaper, in fact it’s $1288 SGD less expensive.

Comparing the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag prices in Singapore and Europe (before the price increase)

Don’t be happy yet.

The big question still needs to be answered, and that is…

Are you better off or not? Was it cheaper before the price increase to purchase a Chanel bag in Europe if you were a Singapore citizen?

Let’s get the answer:

Before 8th April 2015, the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag in Singapore was priced at $7550 SGD. That’s pricey!

Before 8th April 2015, the Chanel M/L Classic Flap Bag in Europe was priced at €3550 euro before tax-refund. So after the tax-refund, the new price was: €3088 euro. Convert that into SGD (as per March 2015 currency) and you will get $4476 SGD.

The difference?

You would save $3074 SGD.

That means – if Chanel did nothing, the price gap between Singapore/United States and Europe would be huge, the value of your bag would be larger.

But obviously, the harmonizing of prices was necessary because the value of Euro was dropping.

We did a small experiment by comparing the M/L Classic Flap Bag with two countries, but the results also represent all sizes of the Classic Flap Bags, Reissue 2.55 and the classic Boy Bags.

Now that you know the conclusion, let us know what you think?

COMMENTS
  • Sandra

Hi I’m going Austria , Czech Republic , Berlin , Netherlands, Brussels and London next month.
    Could anyone advise me which city I can get the cheapest Chanel classic flap bag Medium size ?

Thanks so much !

May 23, 2016
  • Mandy

Hi Brag My Bag blogger,

Thanks for the enlightening article!

I work for a startup that allows you to “request” for items such as the Classic Chanel Flap Bag from European countries- thereby allowing requesters to save money.

The products are brought to your country by certified “travelers”, so you could potentially be in Singapore, requesting for a Bag from Italy, and save ~$1350!

Let me know if you’re interested. We would love to work with you and help your readers get the best deals.

May 17, 2016
  • Sindy

Anyone knows Chanel boy bag (old medium) and yen wallet price in hong kong now? i plan to go this october as the price i referred the link here chanelprices is $500 cheaper comparing to singapore.

April 27, 2016
    • Cynthia

Hi Sindy, I did the calculation too. Chanel is indeed cheaper in HK compared to singapore.

April 27, 2016
  • Clarissa

Anyone has information about comparison of Chanel prices between Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai? Using the classic WOC as reference, I could check the price in Singapore (S$2900; Dec2015) and in Bangkok (approx. 69500THB after tax refund; Jan2016). Anyone knows the price in Dubai and Hong Kong? Thank you!

February 17, 2016
  • R2

Hi Rosie is it the medium large classic flap or the jumbo that is priced at 3425, I want the medium large classic and am saving up, hoping there will be no price increase as want to buy this March x

January 5, 2016
    • Klee03

Hi, anyone knows if there is any price increase in Europe for Chanel classic? There is a price increase in Singapore already.

January 13, 2016
    • Ozlem

Hi R2,
      £3425 is the price of Jumbo. If you want M/L classis Flap it is £3075 in the UK.

March 5, 2016
  • Rosie

Hey,

I’m from the UK. Would it be cheaper to buy the classic flap bag in the UK or Europe, it currently retails for £3,425 in the UK.

I recently bought some Chanel fashion jewellery in Berlin and it came in a fair bit cheaper than if i has bought it in the UK.

Thanks!

January 3, 2016
  • Stefania

Australia has had another huge price increase I have reserved a classic in medium black caviar but not sure if I should wait for Paris in a month – I can claim GST on exit from Australia which is a huge saving and at least I have the bag. I can’t find any links to say the price is universal I was told that it was by a SA here but it appears Europe is as per April. Any comment?

November 12, 2015
    • Cynthia

Hi Stefania, we were aware of the price increases and we’ve also updated the prices. The price of the bags are not universal, in fact, prices in Australia are generally higher than Europe. However, the GST is about to be discontinued, which is what we’ve heard. So you might not find it in Europe.

November 17, 2015
  • Zaiton65

Someone offered to sell chanel antik le boy. Can anyone tell me how much it cost before?

November 9, 2015
  • SHEENA TAN

how much is the Chanel classic jumbo flap bag after tax refund in Paris

November 7, 2015
    • Ly

Its 12 – 13 percent tax-refund in Paris. The latest prices are located here: bragmybag.com/chanel-bags-prices

November 7, 2015
  • Hanim

Thank u for your prompt reply,Cynthia!!!;))

October 25, 2015
  • Hanim

Dear all…
    Im planning to buy the jumbo classic flap in Europe.Is it better to buy it in Munich,Edinburgh or Amsterdam?Thanks in advance.

September 9, 2015
    • Cynthia

Hi Hanim,

Answer #1: When the bag is available, buy it regardless in which city you are.
      Answer #2: I think you can get the highest tax refunds in Munich.

September 10, 2015
  • Lia

Hi, i’m going to rome for a week in sept. Is it possible to book any chanel bag?

August 18, 2015
    • Cynthia

No that’s not possible, but some SA do reserve 24/48 hours. You can try however.

August 18, 2015
  • Angela

Why is the Chanel Medium Classic Flap in Caviar and GHW sold out everywhere????

Sold out in the ff places (between May – June 2015):
    – Across France (€4,260)
    – Rome, Venice (€4,260)
    – London
    – Hong Kong (HKD 34,000)

I’m tempted to buy from a reseller in HK which sells for HKD 38,000 – which is actually moooorrrreeee expensive than buying it from Taiwan and Singapore! It doesn’t make sense to buy it at higher than market / official price cause Chanel just lowered their price in Asia.

Ughhhh! Should I just wait for Chanel to restock or buy it cause it might go up higher??? 🙁

June 11, 2015
  • Hafidza

I bought a classic flap bag (jumbo black caviar with gold hardware) in Milan on 8/4 and I don’t seem to be able to find a hologram sticker in the bag. Where should it be placed?

June 10, 2015
    • Li

It’s inside the bag, on the bottom. It should be visible.

June 10, 2015
  • Sindy

Which European country has the greatest VAT refund for non-EU citizen (which means we can save a lot on VAT refund) ? Which Chanel boutique has more stock?

June 9, 2015
  • gretta

Any price info regarding Dubai or Dubai Duty Free? What about duty free shops in general? Thank you.

May 25, 2015
    • Cynthia

Whether it is duty free or not, the prices in Dubai are more expensive than other countries.

May 30, 2015
  • Lush

Hi Alex has the price of the boy bags gone up too?

May 23, 2015
  • nana

Marcela, did you buy in the beginning of the month? or the end of the month? We’re going there this June. Am so worried about the Euros vs Dollars. I wished euros go down to 1.04 again or lower by June 5th :(.

May 20, 2015
  • Marcela

Yes, it still is cheaper. Just got back from Paris and got Classic Jumbo.

Price was EUR 4750 – 13% VAT refund = EUR 4132.50 (USD $4628).
    Price in SF is USD $5500 + tax ($481.25) = USD $5981.25

Difference = $1353.25

Inventory was a bit low though for a lot of other bags (for example, they didn’t have any Boy bags in black/navy, etc).

May 16, 2015
    • Marni

Hi Marcela,

Did you happen to check for the Boy Bag at multiple boutiques or was it just one boutique that did not have them?

May 16, 2015
    • Marcela

Hi Marni, I was at the Ave Montaigne store and they didn’t have many selection at all for boy bag (I think only had the denim one)?

I was at the Rue Cambon store but was only looking for Classic Jumbo & Silver hardware, which they didn’t have but told me that Ave Montaigne had it so I rushed to Ave Montaigne without asking about other bags.

Looks like it just depends on when the shipments come in.

May 16, 2015
  • Cici

Hi Alex, I live in Singapore.

May 16, 2015
  • Cici

Hi! How early in advance should I place a reservation before our trip to Europe, to ensure I can get the bag? My hubby couldn’t get the classic and boy for me when he was in Italy, he called all the boutiques but was told both items were unavailable and they were unsure when will the stock come in again.

Also, do u think it would be worth for me to fly to KL for a short trip to get my bags compares to buying from local boutique? Thank u.

May 15, 2015
  • Marni

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows the price of the Medium Boy Bag in Python. There is a grey-blueish one the Chanel website that I am really interested in!

m

May 12, 2015
  • susan

Hi, going to London and then Paris in July 2015. I live in the uk. Would it be better to buy a WOC in England or Paris? Thanks x great site BTW x

May 12, 2015
    • Cynthia

Hi Susan, due to weakening euro currency, its cheaper to buy in Paris.

May 12, 2015
  • Marni

I wasn’t sure where to ask this question, so I will just ask here! I am wondering about the new Medium size of the boy bag…to anyone who owns it, do you find the size comfortable for everyday wear? I really want a Boy Bag, but I’m a bit hesitant because of the size increase. I was told that I may be able to find the old medium size at a department store, so I just want to have a better idea before going ahead with the purchase – any advice would be appreciated!

April 29, 2015
    • Cynthia

Hi Marni, there is no old or new boy bag. The new boy is called the Medium Plus. The old (what everone is referring to) is the Medium Boy Bag. Both are available in store. The Medium Plus is bigger in size, I think the normal medium will suit you better, have you checked with the boutique?

April 29, 2015
      • Marni

Hi Cynthia, thank you so much for your reply 🙂
        I have checked with a few boutiques in Canada, and no such luck finding the Medium 🙁 I may be taking a trip to the states so that could be an option, but I would prefer to find it in Canada. Any suggestions?

May 4, 2015
        • Cynthia

Hi Marni,

Have you asked the SA to reserve this bag for you? Or to put you on the waiting list, it’s possible!

May 5, 2015